If you look at magazine ads, television commercials, or billboards, you will find no shortage of brilliant, white smiles. Having a stunning smile has become big business in this country. In fact, teeth whitening is the number one cosmetic procedure. Simple and effective, bleaching your teeth can remove stains and produce sensational results, if done properly.
Recently, a troubling, new trend has emerged. A growing number of individuals, referred to as bleachorexics, have become obsessed with achieving whiter smiles. Whitening spas, age-defying chewing gum, paint-on gels, leave-in trays, and even brightening toothpaste have allowed some people to turn teeth whitening into an unhealthy obsession.
Years ago the television show Friends did an episode in which Ross whitened his teeth beyond the normal limits with predictable comic results; now, some individuals are doing this very same thing. ABC News’ Good Morning America ran a piece in late July about the impact of over whitening and what motivates people to go to such extremes.
Desiring to have a white smile is great, but don’t let it become too much of a good thing. Some people have abused the whitening products, causing damage to their teeth. For example, the edges of the teeth can turn a bluish-translucent color, an irreversible side effect of too much whitening. As well, over bleaching can burn gum tissue and cause pain.
Tips for whitening success:
- Don’t use the products more often then recommended
- Follow the directions exactly as they appear
- Report any problems to your dentist
- Talk with your dentist about safe whitening options
Looking your best helps you convey grace and confidence. Cosmetic dentistry can remove unsightly flaws and give your smile power a boost. The following options will allow you to turn back the clock and enjoy a gorgeous, new image.
Certain foods, lifestyle choices, and aging can lessen your smile’s radiance. Teeth whitening will remove stains and create a more youthful image. For the best results, consider professional teeth whitening, which many dentists offer through in-office sessions or take-home kits.
For small gaps, chips, or cracks in your teeth, dental bonding is often a good solution. With dental bonding, your dentist will use a tooth-colored resin and harden the material with a special light. Dental bonding matches your natural teeth and restores the vibrancy of your smile.
Crafted from thin shells of dental porcelain, veneers can cover flaws and restore your appearance. Durable and stain resistant, veneers can change your image from drab to dynamite.
If you have a cavity, your dentist will remove the decay and fill the tooth. In the past, most dentists used amalgam metal fillings. Now, dentists often place composite fillings to re-establish strength and protect your white smile.
Sometimes, you want to change several aspects of your smile. Custom smile makeovers will allow patients to completely transform their appearances. Usually, the smile makeover process involves a consultation appointment and a detailed plan for changing the features you want to update.
Dental work can involve time and expense, so taking good care of your dental bridge is key to keeping it in ideal condition so that you don’t have to replace it. Diligent cleaning and care will allow you to enjoy the benefits of your bridge for as long as possible. Here are some tips for cleaning your dental bridge to keep it in tip-top shape.
Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush at least twice daily, so that both your teeth and the bridge are cleaned. Brush around all sides of the bridge to remove food particles. Your bridge is not immune to plaque buildup and potential decay, so cleaning it as well as your natural teeth is important.
Flossing is especially necessary with a dental bridge. It is recommended that you floss twice daily, usually before brushing. Use a bridge floss threader to clean around and under the bridge. Many dentists recommend using superfloss, which is made of stiff end threaders, spongy parts, and regular parts of floss. The stiff end threaders make it easier to floss under the bridge, while the spongy floss is helpful in cleaning the wider areas. The regular portion of the floss helps remove plaque from the teeth near the dental bridge.
Mouthwash such as Listerine kills germs that your toothbrush may miss, and also reaches areas that other tools can’t. Rinse with mouthwash at least once a day.
Visit your dentist twice a year for checkups and cleanings. This will ensure that your bridge fits properly and remains in good shape, as well as helping you maintain overall oral health.
If you see medical specialists like paediatricians for your kids or dermatologists for your skin, why wouldn’t you also want to visit a specialist for your dental enhancements? Your smile is just as important as the rest of your health, so consider choosing a cosmetic dentist when it comes to updating your smile. Although any provider can call themselves a cosmetic dentist, you should find one who can achieve the look you desire.
First, consider the benefits of selecting a cosmetic dentist:
- A specialist will have completed post-graduate studies focused on cosmetic dentistry, and will be current on the latest technologies.
- When you need dental work on a highly visible part of your mouth like your front teeth, a specialist will be able to perform the repair while still maintaining your smile.
- If a complete smile makeover is your goal, a cosmetic dentist has the expertise and experience to achieve the optimum results. You’ll be able to discuss your goals, see examples of other makeovers, and obtain a detailed treatment plan suited to your needs.
Once you’ve decided to find a cosmetic dentist, locate the right one for you:
- Ask for recommendations from friends, coworkers, and family. Personal referrals are the best way to get started on your search. You can also research the Internet to read about cosmetic dentist qualifications and customer reviews. Some dentists allow patients to post reviews on facebook, such as here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrowest-Prosthodontics/358219177934?v=wall
- Make sure the dentist you choose has experience and training in the specific procedures that interest you.
- Visit the office for a consultation, and go prepared with a list of questions.
- Ask to see photos of cosmetic dentistry work the dentist has performed. Many cosmetic dentists have Before and After photos that you can view. Metrowest Prosthodontics has a smile gallery on their website, right here: http://metrowestpro.com/smile-gallery-framingham-ma.html
- Go with your gut instinct in selecting the right cosmetic dentist for you. Make sure you feel comfortable in the office and confident in the dentist’s ability to give you the outcome you want.