It’s important to keep all your permanent teeth. Without a complete smile, you risk gum recession, dietary restrictions, and further tooth loss. By identifying common contributors to tooth loss, you can protect your teeth.
Certain factors can influence tooth loss, including:
Developing cavities can weaken your teeth and make you susceptible to tooth loss, especially if you allow the decay to grow. When deep decay compromises the tooth, you may need a root canal, or worse, an extraction. If you suspect that you have a cavity, make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible.
Periodontal (Gum) Disease
The number one cause of tooth loss in American adults, gum disease often begins with mild symptoms such as swollen or bleeding gums. This early form of the disease is called gingivitis. Once gum disease progresses to periodontitis, gum recession, bone degeneration, and tooth loss may occur.
Lack of Dental Care
Seeing the dentist for twice yearly checkups allows the doctor to monitor your whole mouth and look for signs of trouble. Catching small problems, like cavities, before they escalate can help prevent tooth loss.
Poor Oral Hygiene
One step you can take to keep your teeth healthy is to take good care of them. Make brushing twice a day and flossing often a priority.
Certain Chronic Conditions
Individuals with medical issues such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis may have a higher than average chance of developing gum disease, which can increase your odds of losing teeth.
If chips, stains, or gaps between your teeth make you feel self-conscious about your smile, consider porcelain veneers. Made from fine dental porcelain, veneers can cover flaws and revive your smile. Because the porcelain mimics the translucency of tooth enamel, no one will notice your veneers, only your stunning, new image.
Porcelain veneers can be used to:
- Close gaps
- Create a uniform appearance
- Hide permanent stains
- Restore cracks and chips
To begin the process, you will have a consultation with your dentist. Many patients bring photos of smiles they like to this appointment. Your dentist may show you Before and After shots of other cases to help determine your preferences. After listening to your goals and reviewing different options with you, the dentist will create a detailed plan for your custom restorations.
Usually, the dentist can update your smile in two to three visits. First, the dentist will prepare your teeth for the veneers as well as take impressions that are sent to the dental lab. Often, patients wear temporary veneers, providing a trial run of their new smiles. A skilled ceramist will handcraft your porcelain veneers and send them back to the dental office. You will then return for any minor adjustments and permanent placement.
Your veneers will provide years of beauty with proper care. Routine brushing and flossing are critical to protecting your restorations. Make sure to schedule regular checkups so that your dentist can examine your whole mouth and check the status of your veneers.Read More »
Facing dental issues are a fact of life, no matter your age. The likelihood is almost certain that at least one member of your family will require dental treatment at some point, not to mention the need for regular checkups and cleanings. The promise of dental care being required by every family member means that it can be beneficial to have a family dentist who can take care of each one’s oral health.
Although you might choose to seek oral care from a general dentist, there are some unique advantages that family dentists offer. First and foremost, a family dentist treats every member of your family no matter their age. This type of dental practice is comfortable handling any age group, while a general practice might not be as prepared for the young and old and everyone in between.
Another benefit is that you can find a single family dental practice and not have to keep looking for a dentist for each family member. You can convey your family information one time to one office, and the staff will get to know all of you. The dentist and staff will learn about the oral health of every family member, and you can feel confident that each person is receiving the same quality care.
Once you choose a family dentist, everyone will know what office to go to and may even be able to make joint appointments. It will be easy to communicate with a single location, and you’ll grow comfortable in dealing with the same group of people for every family member. Many people appreciate having a long-term professional healthcare relationship, and feeling confident in the care and experience each member of your family will have there.Read More »
If you see medical specialists like paediatricians for your kids or dermatologists for your skin, why wouldn’t you also want to visit a specialist for your dental enhancements? Your smile is just as important as the rest of your health, so consider choosing a cosmetic dentist when it comes to updating your smile. Although any provider can call themselves a cosmetic dentist, you should find one who can achieve the look you desire.
First, consider the benefits of selecting a cosmetic dentist:
- A specialist will have completed post-graduate studies focused on cosmetic dentistry, and will be current on the latest technologies.
- When you need dental work on a highly visible part of your mouth like your front teeth, a specialist will be able to perform the repair while still maintaining your smile.
- If a complete smile makeover is your goal, a cosmetic dentist has the expertise and experience to achieve the optimum results. You’ll be able to discuss your goals, see examples of other makeovers, and obtain a detailed treatment plan suited to your needs.
Once you’ve decided to find a cosmetic dentist, locate the right one for you:
- Ask for recommendations from friends, coworkers, and family. Personal referrals are the best way to get started on your search. You can also research the Internet to read about cosmetic dentist qualifications and customer reviews. Some dentists allow patients to post reviews on facebook, such as here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrowest-Prosthodontics/358219177934?v=wall
- Make sure the dentist you choose has experience and training in the specific procedures that interest you.
- Visit the office for a consultation, and go prepared with a list of questions.
- Ask to see photos of cosmetic dentistry work the dentist has performed. Many cosmetic dentists have Before and After photos that you can view. Metrowest Prosthodontics has a smile gallery on their website, right here: http://metrowestpro.com/smile-gallery-framingham-ma.html
- Go with your gut instinct in selecting the right cosmetic dentist for you. Make sure you feel comfortable in the office and confident in the dentist’s ability to give you the outcome you want.